Generally, the EMDR Basic Training the following knowledge and skill areas:
- The Adaptive Information Processing (AIP) model.
- Research studies showing the efficacy of EMDR.
- Case conceptualisation, treatment planning and target sequencing using the AIP model and the 3-pronged protocol.
- Client readiness and suitability for EMDR Therapy, taking into account the overall competency level of the therapist.
- How to apply the 8 phases of the EMDR basic protocol safely and effectively including but not limited to the following:
– Introduce EMDR to a client and prepare him/her for treatment
– Assess for image, Negative Cognition, Positive Cognition, emotions, and sensations of target memories
– Obtain baseline Validity of Cognition and Subjective Units of Disturbance
– Apply various forms of bilateral stimulation
– The re-accessing and re-assessing of target memory
– Respond to abreactions
– Apply clinical interventions to manage ineffective or blocked processing
– Determine specifically when each phase, especially desensitisation, installation, and body scan, is complete with respect to a target memory
– Conclude a session
– Appropriate evaluation of the next steps in treatment
- Introduction to using EMDR with specific conditions/populations